Be sure to attend our Kitten Adoption Event
Friday, July 22nd - Noon - 4pm
Sponsored by the Fort Collins Cat Rescue Spay & Neuter Clinic!
Stop in the store to see all of the adorable kittens and even if you aren't ready to adopt, you can help the Cat Rescue with donation items that will help them out at the shelter.
All Hummingbird Feeders ON SALE Now thru July 24, 2016!
Save 20% OFF all in-stock hummingbird feeders*
For an extra Hummingbird Feeder Bonus......purchase any of our WBU Brand Hi Perch Hummingbird feeders and get a FREE Nectar Dot Handheld Hummingbird Feeder!
Fun Facts About Hummingbirds
- There are 18 hummingbird species in North America. Hummingbirds are found no where else in the world except the New World (North, Central, and South America.)
- There are over 325 species of hummingbirds, making them the second largest bird family in the world, second only to flycatchers.
- Hummingbirds weigh 1/10th of an ounce; about the weight of a penny.
- Hummingbirds’ brains are about the size of a BB.
- Hummingbirds’ hearts are larger proportionally to their body than any other bird or mammal.
- Hummingbirds have such underdeveloped legs that they are unable to walk well.
- A mother hummingbird weighs only about eight times more than her egg.
- Hummingbirds lay the world’s smallest bird egg.
- Hummingbirds generally lay two eggs, each about the size of a blueberry.
- Hummingbirds learn to associate flower colors, like red, with food. They do not have an innate preference for red.
- They drink nectar from plants and sugar water from feeders.
- Hummingbirds lap up nectar with their long tongues. There is a groove on either side of the tongue that creates a capillary action to help draw the nectar up the tongue and into the mouth during the lapping action.
- While lapping up nectar, Hummingbirds can move their tongues in and out of their bill at a rate of up to 12 times a second.
*Sale prices available on in-stock products only. Sale cannot be combined with other offers, coupons or used on previous purchase. Offer expire July 24, 2016